January 27, 2009

A diversion from the usual...

I have slight reservations about posting such an entry here. After all, this blog is devoted to the ever-growing butterball we call Stella.

But lately I've been reading more and more comments about how worried everyone is about Obama as President, specifically Christians. And it worries me. This quote from a Jan 20 blog posting sums it up:

"...amidst the $170 million affair, the hoopla of our first African-American President, and the controversial issues that have been pounding our living rooms for the past year during the most expensive campaign in this nation's history, it remains a very sad day. A day when all I can think about is what a bleak future we are headed into with Obama as president." (see blog)

I could say many things in response (like "bleaker than what we're already experiencing?"), but instead I'll just add a few remarks as an opposing viewpoint.

To get it in the open right away, I support and voted for Obama.

Here is a man that in his first full week as President has brought a sense of unity to this country that has been missing for a long time. He has inspired thousands, if not millions, to do something good with their lives and their time. We've already seen the direct effect of thousands of people signing up to give of their free time, primarily because an inspiring leader asked them to. It's the call of a great leader that many of us have been waiting for.

One of the recent (and continual) hot buttons: Abortion.

I understand the highly emotional divide of pro life vs. pro choice, and I understand how it leads people to vote the way they do. But Obama himself was quoted to say that despite our differences on the issue, we can all agree that unwanted pregnancy is the real culprit. If we do a better job of avoiding unwanted pregnancies, we do a better job of avoiding the choice of abortion. He was trying to reframe the issue in a way we could unite behind and make a true, positive impact.

He also said that none of us are pro-abortion, and he's right. It's a horrible decision to make and it's a horrible circumstance that leads someone to even consider the option. I personally think we have to stop equating pro-choice with pro-murder - they are not the same thing. (but that's another post...)

To say I'm an Obama supporter is also to say I am not a Bush fan, but to be clear, it had little to do with his religious beliefs or abortion stance.

It had more to do with how he failed to rescue thousands of unfortunates in New Orleans. It had more to do with how he invaded Iraq and manipulated information to support the false claim of weapons of mass destruction. It had more to do with the thousands of servicemen and women who have died supporting his false claim. It had more to do with the failure to recognize and act on a failing economy, one that is now affecting so many of us. And it had more to do with the divisions and bitterness that he ultimately encouraged between people of this great, free nation.

Many have said that they are proud of Bush for ,"...standing up for his beliefs..." Commendable for an individual, perhaps, but unacceptable when you represent a nation of millions, many who don't hold the same beliefs.

But ultimately, I have the hardest time accepting that those who believe in the loving tenants of Jesus Christ would agree that he was a stellar President. He failed so many people. He gave hope to so few. He divided so many.

I am thankful that Obama is my President. Not because he's a Democrat or black or young or pro-choice, but because he has inspired hope, unity, even LOVE, in a majority of Americans in a way that I've never seen in my lifetime. Especially from a politician.

And that's something I think Jesus would be proud of.

6 comments:

  1. Powerful stuff, bro. Well said.

    Unless you're aim is this, I hope that the folks over at "A Bouquet of Blessings" aren't mining their complementary Google Analytics for "blogs that link to us". You poked a little fun at me for it, but this really might be the time to start moderating the comments to your blog (right after you freely post mine, that is).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree wholeheartedly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny how I do indeed "mind my complimentary Google Analytics for blogs that link to mine", therefore I am the author of A Bouquet of Blessings.

    (Before I begin, I just wanted to say that I am on Markana's caringbridge site and have been praying for her without ceasing. That has absolutely nothing to do with the following.)

    I thank God that we live in a country where we can each voice our opinions, respectfully.

    Referring to your comment of "bleaker than we've been experiencing"? Oh yes, my friend. Mark my words, it will be bleaker. Much bleaker.

    Furthermore, pro-choice and pro-murder IS in fact the same thing. A child should not be killed under ANY circumstances. I have 3 adopted children, two of which are special needs, and none of which I know the backgrounds of. They are my heart and my soul. Would my feelings change in the least bit if I knew they were the product of a rape? If I knew that they were to have been born with a terminal illness or a birth defect that may cause them to be incapacitated the remainder of their lives? Absolutely not! These are my children. Created in their mother's womb and destined to be a part of our family since before time was made. There are thousands of families waiting to adopt a child that perhaps may be in those same circumstances, special needs or products of or incest. When a child is conceived, and this is proven over and over in medical journals, it is a COMPLETELY separate entity from the mother. What gives a woman the right to kill another human being? You don't want it? There are thousands of woman that would give their right arm for that child!

    I'm not sure if you are Christian or what your beliefs are, but the bible tells us over and over how GOD CREATED LIFE. Man has NO RIGHT to destroy what God created, REGARDLESS of the circumstance.

    Sadly, our "bleak" economy and our (speaking as a nation) society has placed money before life. My answer to those who are struggling because they can't afford the Blackberrys or can't afford the BMW's because of their situations is, your priorities really should be revised. NOTHING. I repeat, NOTHING in this world is more important to God than His creations, His children. I put that first and foremost BEFORE any man, including Bush, Obama or again, ANY MAN! I stand firm on that belief.

    Bush made have made mistakes during his tenor in office and I am not blind to that fact, but he has lived by his word to protect our nation and to protect the sanctity of life regardless of how it may affect his popularity. Yes, we've been at war. Yes, there have been many, many casualties, but we have not had 1 act of terrorism since 9/11 on our soil. I praise God for that and I thank Mr. Bush for that. He is a man of integrity that has not caved into the political rhetoric that so many politians do.

    May God bless America always. My prayers continue for Obama's change of heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mom to Six,

    Thank you for your thoughts and prayers for Markana. We are fortunate to have so many caring friends, family members and observers.

    In the spirit of healthy debate, however, I must respond to a few of your comments.

    First, I don't think I, you or anyone else can forecast how much bleaker the country will become with Obama as President. There is much to address (war, economy, our standing in the world, etc.), and I don't envy his position. But no one — whether Christian, Muslim, Hindu or Atheist — can deny the positive impact he has had thus far. If American citizens are to have a collective, positive impact on the direction of our country, I consider it a necessity that our leaders inspire unity.

    Second, despite our differing views on the definition of pro-choice, I never disagreed with the extremely honorable act of adoption, whether it be for a special needs child or otherwise, and I never disagreed with the horrible circumstance of abortion. Unwanted pregnancies are unfortunate. I have first-hand experience watching those I love struggle with the difficult choices it presents, and I'm thankful they made the decision they did. (and it wasn't abortion)

    Third, I agree with you that individuals need to be responsible with their finances (though I'm a bit puzzled by your inclusion of Blackberrys and BMWs), but your comment comes across as "those struggling get what they deserve". Many good, loving, and, I assume, Christian men and women are finding life hard right now. As are many good, loving, non-Christian men and women.

    Fourth, it doesn't really matter what my beliefs are, though to put it out there, I was raised, like many reading this blog, in a loving, Christian home. But despite my upbringing and beliefs, I think it's wrong for any of us to insinuate that it takes a holy book or belief in god to guide our morality. I know that many people claim to be better because of their belief system, but I believe that most would be just as good without one. I assume you would love your children just as much without the Bible as you do with it.

    Finally (and this is really the only point I was trying to make in my original post), regardless of whether or not people agree with Obama's stance on certain issues, I think he deserves recognition from those who love Bush for being a uniquely positive and unifying force since his election. I have seen several comments from Christians who were sorry to see Bush leave — understandable — but they were also unwilling to give Obama any credit or support. So much focus was being placed on the fact that Bush was gone and none being placed on the positive, and hopefully lasting, effects Obama has had.

    One aspect of Christian life that has always concerned me (please know I'm talking to myself, too) is how judgmental, narrow-minded and exclusive we tend to be. If a man or woman doesn't hold the exact same belief we do about Jesus or the Bible, then damn them in their entirety. I think it's divisive, unloving and unproductive. And I think that's the kind of mentality G. W. Bush promoted for the last eight years.

    I understand that people didn't vote for Obama for various reasons. I also understand that some preferred Bush. But to damn Obama in his entirety, especially when he's inspired more hope and positive action in this country than we've seen in a long time, is to deny the impact he's had on what both the religious and non-religious hope for - peace, love, respect and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't have said it better myself!

    ReplyDelete