November 11, 2008

A Personal Note from Stella's Mom


Dear friends,

I have been diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma. I wish there was a better way to say this, but cancer just isn't that polite.

Two months ago I found a lump in my neck above my clavicle bone. Being the procrastinator I am, it took me six weeks before I consulted with a doctor. (I also have a baby mind you, so scheduling these appointments can be difficult) So, in one month, one primary care doctor, a referral to a surgeon at Vanderbilt, four CT scans, a referral to an Oncologist, an ultrasound and ultimately a biopsy that lead to my diagnosis.

Today I met the Hematologist Oncologist at Vanderbilt that will be taking over my care. Thursday I will have a bone marrow biopsy, PET scan and a test that shows the strength of my heart and Friday I will have my first round of chemotherapy. I will have eight rounds of chemotherapy over the next four months and then five weeks of radiation. Hodgkin's Lymphoma is treatable and, ultimately, curable.

My greatest concern has been for Stella. My heart is broken. I waited so long to have this sweet baby and I don't want to miss one second. I also have loved breastfeeding her and tomorrow will be our last day together like that. But, she also is the reason that I know everything is going to be alright. She is so little and needs her mommy to be well, so I go into this thinking of her.

I wanted to know exactly where I stood before sharing this. I will do my best to update you all along the way.

Love,
Markana

14 comments:

  1. Words fail me at the moment; but you, Chip and sweet Baby Stella are in our prayers. If there is anything you need, please don't hesitate to let us know. You will beat this!
    Love, The Sewell's

    ReplyDelete
  2. WE LOVE YOU GUYS!!! Know that we are praying for you.
    Eba

    ReplyDelete
  3. Markana~I love you! I am thinking about you, and always here for you, Chip, & baby Stella~
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so strong, it humbles me. I hope someday I'm half the mother you are. Thank you for sharing, Stella's the luckiest baby in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are never far from my thoughts and will be in my heart always---God speed to your beauty Stella!
    We love you!
    Lu

    ReplyDelete
  6. Markana - I don't know what to say except I love you and I love your family - you will beat this - I just know it - I've just been through the 4 months of chemo and 7 weeks of radiation for breast cancer - know what you are about to go through and I'm here if you have any questions. I'm cancer free now and YOU WILL BE TOO when the treatments are over. Stella is so lucky to have you for her mommy!! Please let me know if I can do anything and remember that Sarah is in Nashville and has told me to tell you she will help in any way - watching Stella, etc. - if you need her. Love, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Markana, today I couldn't stop thinking about you, Chip and Stella. You will prevail, just like you do with everything else in life. Chip, thank you for being such an awesome husband to Markana! Please know that we are ready and eager to help you in any way that we can.
    Love,
    Gette

    ReplyDelete
  8. Markana, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your beautiful family. You are so strong, I believe with all my heart that will beat this!!

    Stella is so very precious... Elleana and Taylor just think she's absolutely adorable...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Markana , I am thinking of you always . my thoughts and prayers are with you and a beautiful family . I know you can beat this
    lots of love ,
    Devon xxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Markana, I have seen a dear friend go through the exact same cancer and treatment, and he is cancer free today. The thing most important for him during the chemo was having caring friends and family, and really listening to his own body -- when he wanted to see people and when he didn't, and most importantly he took it easy, spent most of his time with his kids, and close family members who kept him grounded. He also kept a very good sense of humor. He's not a bandana guy but friends sent him a collection of bandanas which he wore with humor. All to say -- we all have inner reserves for healing beyond what we realize.

    All my love XOOXOX
    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  11. Matkana it was hard to believe when I firs heard what happened. I know that you are strong woman and that you will hard against cancer.All of us that appreciate you are here for you and you family, to support you through this.
    we are praying for you
    Karka R

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just wanted to check in and see how you were feeling Markana. I know that you aren't going to have much free time to update or feel like it for that matter, but just know that we are thinking about you everyday and saying a prayer for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are thinking of you Markana and your family--and hoping that all is well and you are healing. All of our good thoughts--all our love...
    The Alcan's

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Markana-

    We have not met, but I publish Strobist, one of the blogs you have on your sidebar. I wish you the best on your fight, and wanted to pass along something I hope will be an inspiration to you.

    My friend and fellow photographer Thomas Graves was similarly diagnosed (Stage III, too) and chronicled his journey from that moment to where he is today -- in full remission.

    I hope it will give you the courage and humor to fight.

    Best of luck,
    David Hobby

    http://www.thomasgraves.com/cancer/

    ReplyDelete