February 2, 2008

Charles Finnigan, in memoriam

My Grandfather, Charles William Finnigan, died on December 13, 2007, and this recent weekend was spent in Orlando, Florida, at a memorial service honoring his life and our memories.

Problem is, I don't really have any.

I have memories of visiting when I was younger: a trip to Disney, paddle boat rides on the lake, early computer games, coy fish in his backyard pond, heat, seeing Saturn's rings through a telescope, swimming, fresh-squeezed orange juice. Only a couple of these really involved him.

It might have been because I was too young and he was getting to old. It might have been because I was somewhat of a reclusive child, perfectly content to find entertainment on my own and by myself. It might have been that my interests and his were too different, and as a child, there was no such thing as a respect for differences, especially for someone so greatly removed from my day to day life.

Many people spoke at today's service and referenced his warmth, his humor, his sharp mind, his never-ending interest in space, math, problem-solving — I do remember these in degrees. However, I never knew the man who taught children to ride bikes; who encouraged learning of all sorts, even when it meant supporting dreams unlike his; who, seemingly out of character, sent a bouquet of flowers to a lonely daughter on Valentine's Day. Unfortunately, I mostly remember a man I wasn't very close to. And now, as I find myself at a point where family, learning and career are my passions, I think I could've been.

There are some questions I'd ask:

How did a scientific man trained in electrical engineering, mixed with a passion for the cosmos, reconcile thoughts of a god and religion?
What motivated him to explore new careers, even after leaving the profession of engineering later in life?
What politics did he tend to follow or support? Why?
Did he consider himself successful?

This makes me think about the living family members I still have (which are many) and, of course, the one Markana and I are about to meet. Most of us live many miles apart and, for all I know, 'many miles' means physically and mentally.

But that's just it; "for all I know".

Truth is, I don't.


I had hoped today, as I looked for the last time at my grandparents' backyard, a yard that now holds the mixed ashes of two people who spent 50+ years at each others' sides, I'd find a sense of sentimentality and connection. I stood silent and alone after our private ceremony, waiting for at least a slight understanding of the thread between us.

It didn't happen.

But then, inside my Grandfather's house with my living family, looking through old photos, organizing the hopes of genealogy projects gone astray, eating the birthday cake of my youngest niece, playing card games, talking, laughing - I found it. The connection we don't enjoy often enough; the unbreakable bond in spite of the differences in our everyday lives, politics or beliefs; the simple enjoyment of each other's company; the honest love I hope for in my family-to-be.

So after many years of not really knowing the man we honored today, I realized that, to me, an understanding of his life can simply mean positively contributing to the thoughts and deeds of the family circle he helped create. I hope I always remember the effects of his efforts.

8 comments:

  1. Chip: This is a very thoughtful and deep piece of writing. It is everyman and everywoman. For that reason, I encourage you to publish it for a larger audience--if there is a "My Turn" column or something like that in the Nashville paper. You write--and think--beautifully. You see the larger picture and the symbolism behind things. (Ever thought of painting??) At any rate, think about if. I have sent this on to my children, your cousins. I hope you and Erica will collaborate on the genealogy, not just the facts of whose related to whom, but the deeper issues of family, heredity, relationships. I wish we had all had more time together, but then I always wish that. Love from your Aunt Harriette

    ReplyDelete
  2. I debated whether I should post a comment, as the blog is entitled "The Young Jordans" and I am neither young nor a Jordan.

    It is hard to have much connection with family members that are not close geographically, and even harder when those people are also distant in age. The age difference makes some things you take for granted seem alien to people of your grandfather's generation, and this is likely to be true for any two-generation gaps. Still, you probably had more of a connection to your grandfather Finnigan than you think: music, for example, although he might not have appreciated yours. Temperament as well: he, like you, was perfectly happy to entertain himself. And in fact, some of us need time alone; for us there is such a thing as too much togetherness!

    I cannot answer the question about reconciling science and religion. I can only suggest that perhaps Einstein or Albert Schweitzer (hope I have that right) might have had something to say on that topic.

    As far as motivation to explore new careers, that is easy to understand. He was laid off from his engineering job somewhat late in life. Even with today's laws about age discrimination, it is harder for older people to get jobs, especially in rapidly changing fields. He definitely considered himself successful, especially in his new career in real estate.

    In politics, Dad was a conservative, voting Republican. I don't know whether he ever voted for Democrats, although it is possible. It is a shame that he was not able to appreciate what was going on for the last few years of his life, and I know he would have loved the rhetoric of the current presidential campaigns!

    I am glad to be living closer to some members of my family now. The recent gathering in Florida was fun, and I hope to be able to see at least some of the family more often. Maybe not cartwheels in the family room every day, but still, more often.

    -- Aunt Guerri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chip and Markana - your Mom told me about your Blog so of course I had to check it out - Chip - thanks so much for what you wrote - right now - in my life - it hit home. I will continue to check back and follow the progress of the "little one". Markana - I have so many memories of you - as a little girl - coming to my house in the mornings to have me french braid your hair because your Mom "hurt" when she did it and my earliest remembrance is of you climbing the baby bed in the nursery at church to peer over and see Christopher - a newcomer. I look forward to one day meeting Chip and of course the newest "newcomer". Love you - Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog Chip, Shane told me about your site...hope all is well, congratulations on your beautiful baby... was just in Nashville over the summer visiting Denise...Talk soon,
    Debbie (Bauer) Hansen
    deb.hansen@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Chip,
    I worked for your grandfather when he was Chief Engineer at Stromberg-Carlson in Rochester, NY. He was the best boss I ever had and a great engineer. As you probably know he was an MIT graduate. Please let me hear from you. Lee Smith
    e-mail is aurelia80@att.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. Correction:
    e-mail address is aurelia80@att.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reply:
      My new e-mail address is arete104@hotmail.com
      Lee D. Smith

      Delete